Resource Recovery collects data annually and measures municipal program success in a variety of ways. We use the calendar year for our annual metrics because not all municipalities share the same fiscal calendar. We produce three key documents from this data:
- Municipal Matrix: This spreadsheet displays a condensed version of the data municipalities annually share with us and compares program information across cities and towns. This is very useful for answering such questions as: “How many municipalities have a PAYT program?” “Who’s including schools in their recycling program?” “Who’s collecting rigid plastics at their transfer station or recycling center?” “How many municipalities use private waste haulers?” “How much are municipalities charging for tires?” and so forth. You can download the current year's spreadsheet below.
- Municipal Summary: This shows detailed information on the calculations for Calendar Year (CY) recycling and diversion rates. You can download these from the past five years, below.
- 2017's Municipal Summary includes two charts that show the five-year history of municipal waste management data trends and the tons of municipal waste diverted from the landfill.
- Individual municipal 5-year historical data charts are available by request via email.
- How Is My City or Town Doing?: This is the two-page document we publish annually, and the main source we use to answer questions from the general public and the media about cities’ or towns’ program success. It explains that there are various measures we use to compare communities, and that it is best to only compare a community to similar communities. Cities and towns are grouped according to size and service, and within their group are listed alphabetically. You can find these from the last five years, here.