RIRRC offers free facility tours to Rhode Island schools. Students get to see, firsthand, what happens to their “stuff” when they are done with it. Tours are designed to be age-appropriate for their audience. Students will visit our:
- State-of-the art Materials Recycling Facility—see how we use technology and people-power to sort and sell recyclables for the benefit of our economy, our environment, and each other.
- Small Vehicle Area for harder-to-recycle materials—open to all Rhode Islanders who want to reduce the amount of trash they send to RI’s Central Landfill.
- Eco-Depot building—home to RI’s free household hazardous waste collection program for the responsible disposal of materials that are toxic, corrosive, flammable, combustible, etc.
- Leaf and yard debris composting operation—see how we produce rich compost through a managed, biological process.
- Central Landfill—expertly designed, engineered, and operated to dispose of our trash, while remaining environmentally complaint. At current disposal rates, our state’s landfill will reach capacity in 2038.
The tour is free to RI schools and lasts about 90 minutes. Tours are conducted at 9:30 and 11:30, Monday through Friday, and must be scheduled ahead of time. The first half of the full-facility tour takes place in your vehicle. Busses or large vans are required, and there must be one open seat for your tour guide. We can accommodate up to two vehicles at one time.
Tours of our Materials Recycling Facility only are available for those carpooling groups without a bus or a van. Please indicate that you are requesting a walking tour of the MRF only, in the "Trip Details" section below.
Schedule a Trip
Tours must be scheduled two weeks in advance. To schedule a field trip, please fill out the form below. A representative from RIRRC will contact you to confirm your request. Please keep in mind that your tour is not considered "booked" until you receive confirmation from our staff. Please remember to bring a copy of your roster with you on the day of your visit. Group leaders arriving without a roster will need to fill out a form by hand. Field trips are not offered on RIRRC holidays or on Eco Depot Saturdays.